Pettitte announces retirement
Dale Hicks
2011-02-04 19:42:09 UTC
So, when we get the stories that "Pettitte will announce his
retirement Friday", is there even a point in actually running an
article that says "As expected, Pettitte did announce his retirement
after all"?

I mean, I think Chipper burned some people that exaggerated his
demise, but for the most part, why do we bother with press
conferences/releases if the news has been leaked a week in advance?
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Tomasz Radko
So the chances to sell Lowe are higher, roght?
Sam Hutcheson
2011-02-18 17:48:37 UTC
http://playdeeper.blogspot.com/2011/02/keltner-schmeltner-pettitte-scones.html

s/
Dale Hicks
2011-02-18 18:52:28 UTC
In article <56b21774-3ece-4ee9-9e08-
***@u14g2000vbg.googlegroups.com>, ***@bellsouth.net
says...
Post by Sam Hutcheson
http://playdeeper.blogspot.com/2011/02/keltner-schmeltner-pettitte-scones.html
1. I missed the "Javy Lopez will announce his retirement Wednesday"
article.

2. Javy was a borderline HOFer? I knew he had a couple of monster
years, but I've never considered him a HOF threat.
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Tomasz Radko
2011-02-18 19:43:31 UTC
Post by Sam Hutcheson
http://playdeeper.blogspot.com/2011/02/keltner-schmeltner-pettitte-scones.html
1. I missed the "Javy Lopez will announce his retirement Wednesday"
article.
2. Javy was a borderline HOFer? I knew he had a couple of monster
years, but I've never considered him a HOF threat.
he had two great seasons. Give him another three such years - and he
would be a borderline HOFer.
BR Eagle
Javy? What about Dale Murphy! He belongs in the HOF!
Colin William
2011-02-19 21:36:33 UTC
Post by Sam Hutcheson
http://playdeeper.blogspot.com/2011/02/keltner-schmeltner-pettitte-scones.html
1. I missed the "Javy Lopez will announce his retirement Wednesday"
article.
2. Javy was a borderline HOFer? I knew he had a couple of monster
years, but I've never considered him a HOF threat.
Raw career line of 287/337/491 is pretty darned good for a catcher -
comparable to Andruw's line of 256/338/488. Of course, once you make the
necessary adjustments his 112 OPS+ is lower than that of Gary Carter
(115) and Carlton Fisk (117), both of whom had over 50% more career PA.
In terms of contemporaries he is overshadowed, of course, by Mike Piazza
as the best hitting catcher ever (depending on how you want to gauge the
historical place of Josh Gibson) and Jorge Posada. Ivan Rodriguez hasn't
been as good a hitter (107 OPS+), but right now he has 75% more career
PA than Javy, and a strong defensive rep.

I wouldn't consider Javy borderline, but that's primarily because of
playing time/career length. Heck of a player, though.

Colin