Phils sign Cliff Lee
Joe Schmoe
2010-12-14 13:25:42 UTC
Their rotation could be somewhat OK next season.
tom dunne
2010-12-14 13:51:05 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
Their rotation could be somewhat OK next season.
I think I now understand what it must have been like for other teams
to be a division with the Braves during the 1990s. Good grief, that's
a lot of starting pitching.
Colin William
2010-12-15 15:54:07 UTC
Post by tom dunne
Post by Joe Schmoe
Their rotation could be somewhat OK next season.
I think I now understand what it must have been like for other teams
to be a division with the Braves during the 1990s. Good grief, that's
a lot of starting pitching.
It sure is.

I'd like to see the Braves now offer up Derek Lowe to the Yankees, but I
don't think they will.

Colin
Jon Richardson
2010-12-15 19:17:50 UTC
Post by Colin William
Post by tom dunne
Post by Joe Schmoe
Their rotation could be somewhat OK next season.
I think I now understand what it must have been like for other teams
to be a division with the Braves during the 1990s.  Good grief, that's
a lot of starting pitching.
It sure is.
I'd like to see the Braves now offer up Derek Lowe to the Yankees, but I
don't think they will.
I don't think that's really a particularly good trade for the Braves.
If the Braves trade Lowe to the Yankees (or any team, really), either:

a) the Yankees pick up the entirety of Lowe's salary in which case
the Braves get a middling (at best) prospect in return. The Braves
then have $15M to spend the next two years with no marquee free agents
left. If the Braves could use the money saved on Lowe to then acquire
Zack Greinke (for instance) that could work, but I don't foresee that
as I don't believe the Braves have the prospects right now to pull
that off. More likely a small portion of it goes towards the
arbitration raises for Jurrjens and Prado and the rest is forgotten;
or,

b) the Braves eat a lot of the contract and get a better prospect,
but then have a bunch of dead salary sitting on the books for the next
two years, which is used as an excuse not to get better

If the Braves want a game changer (or a potential game changer), I
suggest they try to trade Jurrjens. His value is probably lower than
it would otherwise be given last year's injuries but his price is
going somewhat up, but is also still cost-controlled for the next
three years. I suspect Jurrjens nets a much more valuable trade chit
which could then be used to acquire someone significant (kinda like
the Blue Jays acquiring Lawrie in the hope they could use him to get
Greinke).

That's probably a total pipe dream though. I suspect the 25-man
roster is essentially set now and won't be changed barring something
very unorthodox happening.

Jon
Colin William
2010-12-16 22:38:59 UTC
Post by Jon Richardson
I don't think that's really a particularly good trade for the Braves.
a) the Yankees pick up the entirety of Lowe's salary in which case
the Braves get a middling (at best) prospect in return. The Braves
then have $15M to spend the next two years with no marquee free agents
left. If the Braves could use the money saved on Lowe to then acquire
Zack Greinke (for instance) that could work, but I don't foresee that
as I don't believe the Braves have the prospects right now to pull
that off. More likely a small portion of it goes towards the
arbitration raises for Jurrjens and Prado and the rest is forgotten;
or,
b) the Braves eat a lot of the contract and get a better prospect,
but then have a bunch of dead salary sitting on the books for the next
two years, which is used as an excuse not to get better
That seems like a fair analysis.
Post by Jon Richardson
If the Braves want a game changer (or a potential game changer), I
suggest they try to trade Jurrjens. His value is probably lower than
it would otherwise be given last year's injuries but his price is
going somewhat up, but is also still cost-controlled for the next
three years. I suspect Jurrjens nets a much more valuable trade chit
which could then be used to acquire someone significant (kinda like
the Blue Jays acquiring Lawrie in the hope they could use him to get
Greinke).
That's probably a total pipe dream though. I suspect the 25-man
roster is essentially set now and won't be changed barring something
very unorthodox happening.
I've been wondering what it would take to get Greinke. We know that
Dayton Moore still has a strong fetish for Braves players, and that has
to give us some sot of bidding advantage. They'd have to be able to
negotiate an extension as part of the deal, though.

Colin
Jon Richardson
2010-12-17 20:48:17 UTC
Post by Colin William
That's probably a total pipe dream though.  I suspect the 25-man
roster is essentially set now and won't be changed barring something
very unorthodox happening.
I've been wondering what it would take to get Greinke. We know that
Dayton Moore still has a strong fetish for Braves players, and that has
to give us some sot of bidding advantage. They'd have to be able to
negotiate an extension as part of the deal, though.
GMDM has said he's looking for a Texeira like haul for Grienke, which
may be high but not unreasonable. He's also said he's looking to fill
holes among the Royals existing prospects and in that vein, the Braves
don't match up at all. The Royals need middle infielders and
outfielders most and the Braves are bereft at both positions. In
terms of MLB-ready or near MLB-ready, there's Freddie Freeman but the
Royals have a tonne of 1B types.

The Braves have pitching depth to envy, but so do the Royals. I just
don't see the fit.

Jon
Tomasz Radko
2010-12-17 22:00:33 UTC
Post by Jon Richardson
The Braves have pitching depth to envy, but so do the Royals. I just
don't see the fit.
Yes, but have we sent Moore to Kansas City to make Royals strong or to
keep Braves strong?
Joe Schmoe
He is executing his Manchurian duties well.
Colin William
2010-12-19 02:32:35 UTC
Post by Jon Richardson
GMDM has said he's looking for a Texeira like haul for Grienke, which
may be high but not unreasonable.
And, bear in mind, his idea of quality is different from that of a sharp
GM, so his idea of a Tex-type haul will not be an actual Tex-type haul.
Post by Jon Richardson
He's also said he's looking to fill
holes among the Royals existing prospects and in that vein, the Braves
don't match up at all. The Royals need middle infielders and
outfielders most and the Braves are bereft at both positions. In
terms of MLB-ready or near MLB-ready, there's Freddie Freeman but the
Royals have a tonne of 1B types.
The Braves have pitching depth to envy, but so do the Royals. I just
don't see the fit.
Ah, sigh, I bet you're right. Too bad. If only we'd held on to Stenchy,
we coulda traded him straight up ;-)

Colin
Colin William
2010-12-19 14:05:56 UTC
Post by Colin William
Ah, sigh, I bet you're right. Too bad. If only we'd held on to Stenchy,
we coulda traded him straight up ;-)
So, apparently he's going to...the Brewers?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5935586

Huh.

Colin
Dale Hicks
2010-12-19 19:10:18 UTC
Post by Colin William
Post by Colin William
Ah, sigh, I bet you're right. Too bad. If only we'd held on to Stenchy,
we coulda traded him straight up ;-)
So, apparently he's going to...the Brewers?
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5935586
With Gallardo and Marcum, they instantly jump into the pennant race.
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Tarkus
2010-12-14 17:07:30 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
Their rotation could be somewhat OK next season.
It probably won't suck.