wow! got some good value for infante!
zig zigalo
2010-11-16 23:33:51 UTC
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/marlins/florida-marlins-trade-dan-uggla-to-atlanta-braves-1052631.html
Tarkus
2010-11-16 23:45:08 UTC
Post by zig zigalo
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/marlins/florida-marlins-trade-dan-uggla-to-atlanta-braves-1052631.html
Wow, that seems cheap.

Does that mean Prado moves to LF until Chipper's inevitable injury?
zig zigalo
2010-11-16 23:47:40 UTC
Post by Tarkus
Post by zig zigalo
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/marlins/florida-marlins-trade-dan-uggla-to-atlanta-braves-1052631.html
Wow, that seems cheap.
Does that mean Prado moves to LF until Chipper's inevitable injury?
maybe they know something about larry's rehab that's not public yet. or is
prado now on the market?

zig
Tarkus
2010-11-17 00:42:29 UTC
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Tarkus
Post by zig zigalo
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/marlins/florida-marlins-trade-dan-uggla-to-atlanta-braves-1052631.html
Wow, that seems cheap.
Does that mean Prado moves to LF until Chipper's inevitable injury?
maybe they know something about larry's rehab that's not public yet. or is
prado now on the market?
I wouldn't read that much into it. They needed Chipper insurance and/or
a bat in LF. This gives them both (though not at the same time).

Loria is pretty much getting hammered by everyone. Wren picked his
pocket. And speaking to your last point, from what I read, they asked
for Prado first, and after Wren stopped laughing (my interpretation),
they moved to Infante instead.
Tarkus
2010-11-17 00:45:16 UTC
or is prado now on the market?
Also, Uggla might be a one-year rental (same as Infante), so they still
might need a 2B in 2012. And even if they work out a deal with Uggla
(he turned down 4/$48M in Florida), they'll still need a 3B. Either
way, Prado isn't going anywhere, IMO.
Tomasz Radko
2010-11-17 12:55:51 UTC
Post by Tarkus
Post by zig zigalo
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/marlins/florida-marlins-trade-dan-uggla-to-atlanta-braves-1052631.html
Wow, that seems cheap.
Does that mean Prado moves to LF until Chipper's inevitable injury?
It isn't. Teixeira trade redivivus, of course in mini version.

"I estimate Uggla’s play to be worth $11 million in 2011, while
collecting a salary of $9-$10 million in his final year of arbitration.
I estimate Infante to be worth $5.5 million with his salary
contractually set at $2.5 million. Dunn is expected to be worth $800,000
with an estimated salary of just over the league minimum of $400,000.
The values reveal that the Braves become a better team, but they will be
paying for it. Infante will be in the last year of his contract, while
Dunn still has five years of service time left.

The Marlins move was preceded by Uggla turning down a four-year, $48
million contract that I thought was a fair offer. The Braves may think
that they can use the next year to hammer out a reasonable extension,
like they did with Tim Hudson after acquiring him from the A’s, but
Uggla does not seem to be willing to take a discount—he’s reportedly
asking for five years and $71 million, too steep".

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/
Joe Schmoe
2010-11-21 03:12:15 UTC
Post by Tomasz Radko
Post by Tarkus
Post by zig zigalo
[...]
You can't compare this trade to the Teixeira one. In that one, we gave
up five players whose contracts we had under control for many years
each. In this trade, only Dunn was in that category. Uggla costs more
than Infante but we need what he brings offensively.

My only concern about this trade is that it continues to degrade our
infield defense. Last offseason, we were looking at Escobar and Prado
up the middle, with Infante backing up both. Now we have Sea Bass and
Uggla up the middle with Brooks Conrad and some minor leaguers as
backups. Freeman will be slick at 1B, but Chipper has become a shadow
of his former self defensively at 3B when he is actually out there.
Tomasz Radko
2010-11-21 13:20:22 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
You can't compare this trade to the Teixeira one. In that one, we gave
up five players whose contracts we had under control for many years
each. In this trade, only Dunn was in that category. Uggla costs more
than Infante but we need what he brings offensively.
Well, actually I can, but I agree that I'd overreacted. But basically we
have bought 1 WAR for cheap pitching borderline prospect, increased
spending and weakened bench. It's probably an OK trade, no disaster, no
bargain. I think almost all trades are like that - thereare no complete
idiots among MLB GMs. But I'd rather keep Prado at 2B and simply buy RH LF.
Post by Joe Schmoe
My only concern about this trade is that it continues to degrade our
infield defense. Last offseason, we were looking at Escobar and Prado
up the middle, with Infante backing up both. Now we have Sea Bass and
Uggla up the middle with Brooks Conrad and some minor leaguers as
backups. Freeman will be slick at 1B, but Chipper has become a shadow
of his former self defensively at 3B when he is actually out there.
It's typical. Royals keep talking about signing high OBP guys and keep
signing low OBP ones. Braves are talking how important the defense is
and are getting worse and worse.