I watched the game last night on the Phillies feed
James Sidbury
2011-04-09 19:43:39 UTC
and they seemed to think that Chipper had a reasonable shot at 3000
hits. I haven't bothered to look at his stats (I'm leaving that to dale
:) but It seems to me that at his present rate of missing 30 plus games
per season it would take him at least 3 more seasons to do it and I
don't think he will play that long.

Comments?

dick
Deedle Nick
Mebbe the NL will institute the DH next year.
Dale Hicks
2011-04-12 04:49:28 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
and they seemed to think that Chipper had a reasonable shot at 3000
hits. I haven't bothered to look at his stats (I'm leaving that to dale
It took four seasons (2007-2010) to get 546 hits. He needs 499, so if
he's similar to his recent production, then it means playing until
2014 when he'd be 42. Doable, but the past two seasons aren't a
reassuring trend.

Players with 500 hits over the age of 39, post 1900:

Honus Wagner
Sam Rice
Luke Appling
Yaz
Rose
Fisk
Winfield
Molitor
Rickey
Omar Vizquel

Not as many players doing this as you'd think.
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Sam Hutcheson
2011-04-13 12:17:55 UTC
Post by Dale Hicks
Post by James Sidbury
and they seemed to think that Chipper had a reasonable shot at 3000
hits.  I haven't bothered to look at his stats (I'm leaving that to dale
It took four seasons (2007-2010) to get 546 hits. He needs 499, so if
he's similar to his recent production, then it means playing until
2014 when he'd be 42.  Doable, but the past two seasons aren't a
reassuring trend.
He'd have to have two very good seasons where he played 145 games or
more, pushing 175-200 hits per season. It's extremely unlikely.
Luckily, it's not necessary for his HOF resume.

s/