"Drew says playing hurt would hurt the team" (AJC)
Tarkus
2004-05-11 17:38:35 UTC
Drew says playing hurt would hurt the team

By DAVID O'BRIEN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 5/10/04

In his first 30 games with the Braves, J.D. Drew has done just what he
did in St. Louis. He's played very well when in the lineup, and been out
of the lineup a lot.

More than some might prefer.

"He's a guy who, if he's not 100 percent, doesn't really feel like he's
helping the team," Braves left fielder Chipper Jones said with a shrug.

The enigmatic Drew has some impressive statistics as he returns tonight
to St. Louis, where he played the past six seasons before his offseason
trade to Atlanta. The right fielder is hitting .313, and his combination
of on-base and slugging percentages is 1.043, best among the Braves and
seventh-best in the National League.

Currently, he's on an eight-game hitting streak. It has taken him two
weeks to play those eight games, however, because he missed three after
straining his neck swimming.

Drew has played 22 of 30 games. In addition to his neck injury, he had a
hamstring strain that kept him out a week, even though the injury was
diagnosed as mild and initially expected to sideline him for three days.

Drew played an average of 117 games in five full seasons with St. Louis
and is on pace for 119 this season. By contrast, Chipper Jones played an
average of 157 games in the past eight seasons, and Andruw Jones has
averaged 158 over seven.

The Braves and their followers aren't accustomed to players pulling
themselves out of the lineup minutes before games, as Drew did last week
because of his neck.

"You can't worry about it," third baseman Mark DeRosa said. "He's his own
man. I just know there's not a guy out on the field who doesn't have an
ache or pain. That doesn't make [Drew] any less competitive. I just think
it gets blown up when you don't have a Chipper or [Marcus] Giles in the
lineup, when you're looking for another bat because we've had so many
guys hurt."

General manager John Schuerholz was asked if it was frustrating to see
Drew miss so many games when the injury-plagued Braves could have used
him.

"Yeah, a little bit," Schuerholz said. "But if he says he's not feeling
good, you can't make him go out there and play."

There's some culture shock happening here. With the Braves, manager Bobby
Cox usually has to keep injured players on the bench, telling them to
take a day off when they try to play hurt or return too soon.

That's not the case with Drew, who lets people know when he needs to sit.

"I would have went and played if that's what the fans wanted," he said of
his last-minute decision last Thursday to take himself out of the lineup.
"But it would have looked terrible. I wouldn't have been able to track
the ball with a stiff neck, and I wouldn't have helped the team. . . .

"And I obviously couldn't run with a strained hamstring. I didn't want to
end up tearing that and missing a lot of games. It's a long season."

In St. Louis, there were whispers that some Cardinals were no longer in
Drew's corner during his final season there.

"Teammates ultimately respect guys who go to the post the most,"
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said recently. "When something keeps
happening that prevents you from going out there, they're not very
forgiving about that."

The Cardinals believed Drew could be a great player, but some wondered if
he really wanted to be.

"I don't think he wants to be that shining star that everyone is looking
at, because of the attention it will bring," Cardinals pitcher Matt
Morris said. "I don't know how much responsibility he's willing to
accept. The limelight is not something he's accustomed to or wants."

La Russa said he could perceive that some thought Drew wasn't showing
enough emotion and energy.

"He's got to be careful that way," La Russa said. ". . . The game can get
real easy for a guy as talented as [Drew] is. Good player, earning good
money. He's really got to push himself because he has as much as talent
as anybody."

Chipper Jones said a player doesn't have to be completely healthy to help
the team, especially a team as inexperienced and thin as this year's
Braves have been.

"What some players don't realize is, just their presence in the lineup
can make other guys better," he said. "It can get another player a pitch
to hit in certain situations. Sometimes you don't necessarily have to
produce to help the team.

"That's the way I look at it. But we each have our own philosophy. If he
feels like he's not going to help the team if he's not 100 percent, then
we need to concentrate on getting him 100 percent."

How often does Jones feel completely healthy during a season?

"I think I probably play 90 percent of the time in a season without being
100 percent," Jones said. "You maybe go a few weeks where you don't have
anything wrong and feel strong, but the rest of the time, you have
something that hurts."

J.D. DREW'S AILMENTS

Outfielder J.D. Drew, acquired by the Braves from St. Louis this winter,
has been sidelined by injuries in each of his major league seasons.

Year Injury Time missed
1999 Strained right quad On DL May 15-June 17
2000 Sprained left ankle On DL July 8-27
2001 Broken right little finger On DL June 17-July 30
2002 Right patella tendinitis On DL June 28-July 13
2003 Recovery from knee surgery On DL March 21-April 20
Strained right oblique On DL March 21-April 20
2004 Strained left hamstring Missed five games April 14-18
Strained neck Missed three games May 4-6
--
"I put my head down and didn't say a word. I didn't even think
anything, just in case he thought I was thinking something."

Now playing: "Nazareth - I Want To Do Everything For .."
Ben
2004-05-11 19:54:38 UTC
Post by Tarkus
"He's a guy who, if he's not 100 percent, doesn't really feel like he's
helping the team," Braves left fielder Chipper Jones said with a shrug...
"I would have went and played if that's what the fans wanted," he said of
his last-minute decision last Thursday to take himself out of the lineup.
"But it would have looked terrible. I wouldn't have been able to track
the ball with a stiff neck, and I wouldn't have helped the team. . . .
j d drew: the un-jordan
Ben
Tarkus
2004-05-11 20:29:14 UTC
Post by Ben
j d drew: the un-jordan
Precisely what I was thinking. And both are probably criticized by many
of the same people for being not tough enough/too tough.
--
"I always have a hard time giving up young guys..." - John Schuerholz

Now playing: "Utopia - Itch in My Brain"
Colin William
2004-05-11 20:40:05 UTC
Post by Tarkus
Post by Ben
j d drew: the un-jordan
Precisely what I was thinking. And both are probably criticized by many
of the same people for being not tough enough/too tough.
I'm one who always thought Jordan tried too often to play when he wasn't
fully recovered from injuries. As for Drew, I don't see how we can get too
surprised or upset by this. This is the price of admission with Drew, and we
knew it going in. For the most part his history of injuries looks
unfortunate but legit.

Colin
Sam Hutcheson
2004-05-12 00:04:28 UTC
Post by Tarkus
Post by Ben
j d drew: the un-jordan
Precisely what I was thinking. And both are probably criticized by many
of the same people for being not tough enough/too tough.
brian jordan bad. j.d.drew good.

s/

*****

"Quiet Karl, the small headed are easily manipulated." -- Jimmy Newtron or Dick Cheney?
Ben
2004-05-12 16:23:50 UTC
Post by Sam Hutcheson
brian jordan bad. j.d.drew good.
are you saying drew takes himself out an appropriate amount of time? i don't
know, but i wonder if he's *too* quick to sit out. isn't 80% drew better than
100% wise? (not that it's drew's fault the bench is about as deep as jolly's
reasoning.)
Ben
CoolHandDuke tbdm
2004-05-11 20:51:44 UTC
Post by Ben
Post by Tarkus
"He's a guy who, if he's not 100 percent, doesn't really feel like he's
helping the team," Braves left fielder Chipper Jones said with a shrug...
"I would have went and played if that's what the fans wanted," he said of
his last-minute decision last Thursday to take himself out of the lineup.
"But it would have looked terrible. I wouldn't have been able to track
the ball with a stiff neck, and I wouldn't have helped the team. . . .
j d drew: the un-jordan
At the very least. I'd play until a bone was sticking out of my leg for the
sort of money these guys make.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
George W. Bush Is A Liar And A Fraud
http://www.johnkerry.com/
Cheney Is A Real Dick
Eject Bush '04
+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
Tarkus
2004-05-11 21:28:46 UTC
Post by CoolHandDuke tbdm
At the very least. I'd play until a bone was sticking out of my leg
for the sort of money these guys make.
The money invested and earned is all the more reason to take care of your
body. Going out there and sucking because of injuries, ala Brian Jordan,
neither helps you nor your team.
--
"Odd but true: the Braves had seven errors in one game and Furcal didn't
even play." - Braves Vent

Now playing: "Utopia - Stand for Something"
CoolHandDuke tbdm
2004-05-15 18:17:57 UTC
Post by Tarkus
Post by CoolHandDuke tbdm
At the very least. I'd play until a bone was sticking out of my leg
for the sort of money these guys make.
The money invested and earned is all the more reason to take care of your
body. Going out there and sucking because of injuries, ala Brian Jordan,
neither helps you nor your team.
Ah c'mon, I wasn't being literal. lol

It is, however, quite possible to play well injured. Playing hurt, though, is
rarely good for the player or the team.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
Craig Nance
2004-05-11 20:07:12 UTC
Post by Tarkus
Drew says playing hurt would hurt the team
[snip]
Post by Tarkus
Year Injury Time missed
1999 Strained right quad On DL May 15-June 17
2000 Sprained left ankle On DL July 8-27
2001 Broken right little finger On DL June 17-July 30
2002 Right patella tendinitis On DL June 28-July 13
2003 Recovery from knee surgery On DL March 21-April 20
Strained right oblique On DL March 21-April 20
2004 Strained left hamstring Missed five games April 14-18
Strained neck Missed three games May 4-6
This is starting to be worrisome to me. I don't mind sitting out if a
hamstring is hurting because it's so easy to make that worse. But
it's starting to look like this is a player who claims he got hurt
tying his shoes. The "strained neck" bit was a little much. I
remember all spring training they kept treating him with kid gloves
and Cox kept saying he didn't want to wear him out in spring training
and I kept thinking "what kind of bullshit is that?".
Jon Richardson
2004-05-11 20:21:53 UTC
Post by Tarkus
[...]
Apart from the strained neck and maybe the strained quad in 1999, this is
worrisome? You can say JD Drew probably sits out too long when he is
injured (6 weeks for a broken finger seems long to me but I don't know all
the details) but the vast majority of those are legitimate injuries.

At the same time, everyone's major concern when Drew was acquired was his
durability so even if he stays mammoth injury-free but still misses 3-5
games every two weeks....that'll be pretty damn annoying.

Jon
Lance Freezeland
2004-05-11 21:41:20 UTC
On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:21:53 -0400, "Jon Richardson"
Post by Jon Richardson
Post by Tarkus
[...]
And that's the problem with Drew. It's not the legitimate injuries
that drive you mad. It wasn't the broken finger from being hit by a
pitch from David Wells in June 2001 that drives you crazy. Rather,
it's all the little, soft tissue injuries that seemingly always take
him out of the lineup, but are not serious enough to disable him.
It's the toenail fungus, the stiff neck, the fart crossways that
always seems to be popping up, causing Drew to take himself out of the
lineup for 3 or 4 days at a time.

--
Lance

GO ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!
GO ILLINI! OSKEE WOW-WOW!
GO ROXANA SHELLS!
GO ALTAMONT INDIANS!
k***@gmail.com
2013-10-01 09:29:28 UTC
In a game anyone one get hurt at any time. I had played until i get the finger injury but that is also beneficial for me as i take help from lagal attorney kim j kakadelas [http://www.kakadelaslaw.com/] for claiming in finger soft tissue injury. one can also take help from them to get rid of such type of cases.