Wags
Tarkus
2010-08-29 04:48:37 UTC
Was listening to the game today on the radio, and they were talking
about Billy Wagner breaking the all-time record for strikeouts by a
lefty reliever. They said Ross was doing everything he could to get
Wagner to save the ball, but he refused. (I guess Ross never thought of
just catching it and tossing it to the dugout.)

Finally, after a walk, I guess "the" ball was fouled into the stands,
upon which the Braves' PR staff negotiated its retrieval (for
Cooperstown or whatever). When later asked why he refused to keep the
milestone ball, Wagner asked why make a big deal out of something you're
supposed to do, when you're losing?

Someone tell me, why the hell hasn't this guy been a Brave until now?
He's a BRAVE!
Tarkus
2010-08-29 06:52:51 UTC
I love this guy.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/08/28/wagner-threw-his-record-strikeout-ball-back-into-stands/

Wagner tossed his record strikeout ball into stands

6:57 pm August 28, 2010, by Carroll Rogers

Braves closer Billy Wagner became the all-time leader in strikeouts by a
left-handed reliever Friday night, but he wanted no part in any
celebration of it in a 7-1 loss to the Marlins.

Wagner reached 1,170 strikeouts for his career by striking out Mike
Stanton for the first out of the ninth inning to pass Jesse Orosco.

But when his accomplishment was listed on the video board and umpire Tim
McClellan tried to stop the game, with catcher David Ross motioning for
Wagner to throw in the ball, he refused.

“I said ‘We’re getting our (butts) kicked, it’s raining, let’s go,” said
Wagner, who was in the game only to get some work in because he hadn’t
pitched in a week. “It’s stupid. Who in their right mind makes a big
deal out of doing something they’re supposed to do in the first place?
I’m out there pitching in a (bad) game; we’re getting our butt kicked.
It’s not worth it to make a big deal out of that. That’s embarrassing.”

Wagner kept pitching with that ball while walking Logan Morrison. Then
at one point, the next batter – Hanley Ramirez – fouled the ball down
the left field line. Wagner picked it up and tossed his milestone ball
into the crowd.

Unbeknownst to him, the Braves clubhouse crew got his ball back to give
to him. While Wagner couldn’t appreciate his feat on Friday, his manager
Bobby Cox thinks it’s a pretty important one.

“I think it’s big,” Cox said. “It may never be broken again.”