What Braves batters have against Hanson?
Tomasz Radko
2010-09-06 22:07:37 UTC
No, really, what has he done?
Joe Schmoe
2010-09-08 00:59:27 UTC
Post by Tomasz Radko
No, really, what has he done?
The Braves batters have been exhibiting a strong prejudice against most
of their own pitchers lately. If only they could muster some similar
bias against opposing pitchers, we might not be experiencing this
sinking feeling.
James Sidbury
2010-09-08 01:16:29 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by Tomasz Radko
No, really, what has he done?
The Braves batters have been exhibiting a strong prejudice against most
of their own pitchers lately. If only they could muster some similar
bias against opposing pitchers, we might not be experiencing this
sinking feeling.
Apparently it's not just Hanson.

Now the Braves are 11 under on the road and 30 over at home. That's a
differential of 41. Is there an easy way to find out if this is some
kind of record?

dick
--
winning the world series is not going to be easy if the Braves are the
road team in the first two sets of playoffs.
Colin William
2010-09-08 01:37:45 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
Now the Braves are 11 under on the road and 30 over at home. That's a
differential of 41. Is there an easy way to find out if this is some
kind of record?
dick
--
winning the world series is not going to be easy if the Braves are the
road team in the first two sets of playoffs.
Getting to the World Series is not going to be easy if the team can't
score more than one run in two games against the likes of the Pirates.

And, as to your question, the 1987 Twins won the Series and they went
56-25 at home, 29-52 on the road. By your reckoning that's a
differential of 54. But, the Metrodome was pure evil.

Colin
Joe Schmoe
2010-09-08 02:56:00 UTC
Post by Colin William
Post by James Sidbury
--
winning the world series is not going to be easy if the Braves are the
road team in the first two sets of playoffs.
Getting to the World Series is not going to be easy if the team can't
score more than one run in two games against the likes of the Pirates.
Colin
The Pirates are essentially a minor league club. What a pitiful
showing, just when we needed it least.

If SF holds on to their 6-0 lead against AZ tonight, we start tomorrow
only a game ahead of them in the wild card race. :-(
zig zigalo
2010-09-08 08:59:10 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by James Sidbury
--
winning the world series is not going to be easy if the Braves
are the > road team in the first two sets of playoffs.
Getting to the World Series is not going to be easy if the team can't
score more than one run in two games against the likes of the
Pirates. Colin
The Pirates are essentially a minor league club. What a pitiful
showing, just when we needed it least.
If SF holds on to their 6-0 lead against AZ tonight, we start tomorrow
only a game ahead of them in the wild card race. :-(
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC spot.

just my $0.02

zig
Joe Schmoe
2010-09-08 12:01:17 UTC
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
If SF holds on to their 6-0 lead against AZ tonight, we start tomorrow
only a game ahead of them in the wild card race. :-(
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC spot.
just my $0.02
zig
Hmm? Do you also think that only the team with the best record in the
league should make the postseason? Do away with all this divisional
nonsense?
zig zigalo
2010-09-08 13:39:47 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
If SF holds on to their 6-0 lead against AZ tonight, we start
tomorrow only a game ahead of them in the wild card race. :-(
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC
spot. just my $0.02
zig
Hmm? Do you also think that only the team with the best record in the
league should make the postseason? Do away with all this divisional
nonsense?
yeah, cause that's exactly what i'm saying. way to read for comprehension.

zig
Joe Schmoe
2010-09-08 14:10:26 UTC
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
If SF holds on to their 6-0 lead against AZ tonight, we start
tomorrow only a game ahead of them in the wild card race. :-(
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC
spot. just my $0.02
zig
Hmm? Do you also think that only the team with the best record in the
league should make the postseason? Do away with all this divisional
nonsense?
yeah, cause that's exactly what i'm saying. way to read for comprehension.
zig
So what would you prefer? How to account for the odd number of teams in
post-season? Best record gets a bye?
James Sidbury
2010-09-08 16:51:59 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
If SF holds on to their 6-0 lead against AZ tonight, we start
tomorrow only a game ahead of them in the wild card race. :-(
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC
spot. just my $0.02
zig
Hmm? Do you also think that only the team with the best record in the
league should make the postseason? Do away with all this divisional
nonsense?
yeah, cause that's exactly what i'm saying. way to read for comprehension.
zig
So what would you prefer? How to account for the odd number of teams in
post-season? Best record gets a bye?
realignment to 4 divisions of 4 teams. Winners go to playoffs. I could
also accept two 8 team divisions with top two teams in each division
going to playoffs.

Once again THIS season would be more interesting with no wild cards.
close races in two of the three divisions in the NL, and two of three
divisions of the AL.

dick
Tarkus
2010-09-08 17:08:01 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
realignment to 4 divisions of 4 teams. Winners go to playoffs. I could
also accept two 8 team divisions with top two teams in each division
going to playoffs.
You'd need to add two more teams to go with 4 divisions of 4 teams.
But you'd accept TWO wildcards as an alternative?
James Sidbury
2010-09-08 17:17:01 UTC
Post by Tarkus
Post by James Sidbury
realignment to 4 divisions of 4 teams. Winners go to playoffs. I could
also accept two 8 team divisions with top two teams in each division
going to playoffs.
You'd need to add two more teams to go with 4 divisions of 4 teams.
I was only worrying about REAL baseball, like they play in the NL. But
adding two teams would be fine with me. Put one in NYC to help curtail
the financial advantage of their teams and the other in <take your
choice of a good place>.
Post by Tarkus
Post by James Sidbury
Once again THIS season would be more interesting with no wild cards.
close races in two of the three divisions in the NL, and two of three
divisions of the AL.
But you'd accept TWO wildcards as an alternative?
?? Well I'm "accepting" what they have now, although my enthusiasm is
less than strong.

dick
Tarkus
2010-09-08 18:06:38 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
Post by Tarkus
Post by James Sidbury
Once again THIS season would be more interesting with no wild cards.
close races in two of the three divisions in the NL, and two of three
divisions of the AL.
But you'd accept TWO wildcards as an alternative?
?? Well I'm "accepting" what they have now, although my enthusiasm is
less than strong.
I get that, but I took your statement as a better alternative than what
they have now. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you'd bring it up.
James Sidbury
2010-09-09 03:19:27 UTC
Post by Tarkus
Post by James Sidbury
Post by Tarkus
Post by James Sidbury
Once again THIS season would be more interesting with no wild cards.
close races in two of the three divisions in the NL, and two of three
divisions of the AL.
But you'd accept TWO wildcards as an alternative?
?? Well I'm "accepting" what they have now, although my enthusiasm is
less than strong.
I get that, but I took your statement as a better alternative than what
they have now. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you'd bring it up.
OK. I see where you're coming from. First I'm trying to be realistic
and assuming that any reasonable choice from MLBs perspective would
involve 3 rounds of playoffs for financial reasons. I'd prefer either
of my choices listed above to the present situation. 4 divisions does
away completely with the wild card but it gives too few opponents in
your division. Using this scheme would require an inordinant number of
games against 3 teams and a corresponding scarcity of games against 12
other teams. Two 8 team divisions has two "undeserving" teams making
the playoffs but the advantage from my perspective is that it more or
less eliminates an unfair competition among wild card teams because of
an unbalanced schedule.

Because I consider the regular season as the primary joy of baseball,
I'd probably opt for two 8 team divisions because of scheduling.

dick
Tarkus
2010-09-09 15:08:08 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
OK. I see where you're coming from. First I'm trying to be realistic
and assuming that any reasonable choice from MLBs perspective would
involve 3 rounds of playoffs for financial reasons. I'd prefer either
of my choices listed above to the present situation. 4 divisions does
away completely with the wild card but it gives too few opponents in
your division. Using this scheme would require an inordinant number of
games against 3 teams and a corresponding scarcity of games against 12
other teams. Two 8 team divisions has two "undeserving" teams making
the playoffs but the advantage from my perspective is that it more or
less eliminates an unfair competition among wild card teams because of
an unbalanced schedule.
Because I consider the regular season as the primary joy of baseball,
I'd probably opt for two 8 team divisions because of scheduling.
I don't agree, but thanks for the clarification.

One of the things that makes the regular season so great is the goal
everyone is striving for, and that's the playoffs and hopefully the
World Series. So as much as I love the regular season, I can't place it
above the goal that makes it relevant in the first place.
Joe Schmoe
2010-09-08 14:12:23 UTC
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
If SF holds on to their 6-0 lead against AZ tonight, we start
tomorrow only a game ahead of them in the wild card race. :-(
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC
spot. just my $0.02
zig
Hmm? Do you also think that only the team with the best record in the
league should make the postseason? Do away with all this divisional
nonsense?
yeah, cause that's exactly what i'm saying. way to read for comprehension.
zig
OK, never mind, I guess you are saying that you just don't want the
Braves in as a wild card, that's not what I thought you meant.
zig zigalo
2010-09-08 14:13:49 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
If SF holds on to their 6-0 lead against AZ tonight, we start
tomorrow only a game ahead of them in the wild card race. :-(
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC
spot. just my $0.02
zig
Hmm? Do you also think that only the team with the best record in
the league should make the postseason? Do away with all this
divisional nonsense?
yeah, cause that's exactly what i'm saying. way to read for
comprehension. zig
OK, never mind, I guess you are saying that you just don't want the
Braves in as a wild card, that's not what I thought you meant.
yeah... WC is for the marlins and mets.
:)

zig
zig zigalo
2010-09-08 14:59:07 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Joe Schmoe
If SF holds on to their 6-0 lead against AZ tonight, we start
tomorrow only a game ahead of them in the wild card race. :-(
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC
spot. just my $0.02
zig
Hmm? Do you also think that only the team with the best record in
the league should make the postseason? Do away with all this
divisional nonsense?
yeah, cause that's exactly what i'm saying. way to read for
comprehension. zig
OK, never mind, I guess you are saying that you just don't want the
Braves in as a wild card, that's not what I thought you meant.
oh, and dude, sorry, i was a bit harsh. just annoyed that i really got into
this team and two in a row to the pirates pissed me off. meh, still glad to
be watching meaningful baseball in sept again!

zig
Joe Schmoe
2010-09-08 23:03:16 UTC
Post by zig zigalo
oh, and dude, sorry, i was a bit harsh. just annoyed that i really got into
this team and two in a row to the pirates pissed me off. meh, still glad to
be watching meaningful baseball in sept again!
zig
You're good, np. I was snapping at my wife and kids yesterday about the
Braves, and those are people I actually live with.
Tomasz Radko
2010-09-08 12:39:16 UTC
Post by zig zigalo
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC spot.
just my $0.02
On contrary - I'd like _two_ WC teams, playing one elimination game
before playoffs. Therefore advancing as WC team would be disadvantage.
zig zigalo
2010-09-08 15:03:03 UTC
Post by Tomasz Radko
Post by zig zigalo
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC spot.
just my $0.02
On contrary - I'd like _two_ WC teams, playing one elimination game
before playoffs. Therefore advancing as WC team would be disadvantage.
i dunno, that seems like it would work several possible ways: too much "time
off" for the non WC teams and big momentum for the WC "winner". the braves
have always seemed like the WC was beneath them. i'd rather see no WC team
play a home game until the WS, assuming they make it. maybe i make no
sense. that's common for me.

zig
Tomasz Radko
2010-09-08 21:49:28 UTC
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Tomasz Radko
Post by zig zigalo
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC spot.
just my $0.02
On contrary - I'd like _two_ WC teams, playing one elimination game
before playoffs. Therefore advancing as WC team would be disadvantage.
i dunno, that seems like it would work several possible ways: too much "time
off" for the non WC teams
One day. Or even zero, of there are any days off before the playoffs.
and big momentum for the WC "winner". the braves
Don't believe in momentum. From real things - WC teams would have "burn"
#1 starters. Seems perfect, punish WC teams, gratifies the team with the
best record.
zig
Dale Hicks
2010-09-09 01:28:08 UTC
In article <i67j91$n02$***@news.eternal-september.org>, ziggy1967
@gmail.com says...
Post by zig zigalo
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC spot.
I'd rather win the World Series playing under the rules everyone
plays under than sit at home and watch the Yankees win.
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Tarkus
2010-09-09 15:02:18 UTC
Post by Dale Hicks
@gmail.com says...
Ditto.
Colin William
2010-09-09 20:42:36 UTC
Post by Dale Hicks
@gmail.com says...
Post by zig zigalo
who wants the WC? i'd rather not make the playoffs than take a WC spot.
I'd rather win the World Series playing under the rules everyone
plays under than sit at home and watch the Yankees win.
The braves watched as Wild Card teams got to the NLCS or Series many
times during their run. They're due for some payback.

Colin

Dale Hicks
2010-09-08 01:42:23 UTC
In article <DrJamesSidbury-251D0E.21162807092010
@news.individual.net>, ***@hotmail.com says...
Post by James Sidbury
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by Tomasz Radko
No, really, what has he done?
The Braves batters have been exhibiting a strong prejudice against most
of their own pitchers lately. If only they could muster some similar
bias against opposing pitchers, we might not be experiencing this
sinking feeling.
Apparently it's not just Hanson.
Now the Braves are 11 under on the road and 30 over at home. That's a
differential of 41. Is there an easy way to find out if this is some
kind of record?
A semi easy way is to ask here and let me juggle with bb-ref for a
minute. Here are all teams that equal or better that mark:

===HOME==== ===AWAY====
Tm Year G W L G W L Diff
PHA 1945 77 39 35 76 13 63 54
MIN 1987 81 56 25 81 29 52 54
COL 1996 81 55 26 81 28 53 54
BOS 1949 77 61 16 78 35 42 52
HOU 1978 81 50 31 81 24 57 52
PHA 1908 78 46 30 79 22 55 49
PHA 1902 73 56 17 64 27 36 48
CHC 1933 79 56 23 75 30 45 48
BOS 1952 77 50 27 77 26 51 48
BOS 1961 82 50 31 81 26 55 48
FLA 1996 81 52 29 81 28 53 48
COL 2003 81 49 32 81 25 56 48
PHA 1949 77 52 25 77 29 48 46
HOU 1967 81 46 35 81 23 58 46
HOU 1969 81 52 29 81 29 52 46
BOS 1987 80 50 30 82 28 54 46
HOU 1990 81 49 32 81 26 55 46
HOU 1963 81 44 37 81 22 59 44
CHW 1972 78 55 23 76 32 44 44
KCR 1982 81 56 25 81 34 47 44
CHW 1903 70 41 28 68 19 49 43
WSH 1916 81 49 28 78 27 49 43
PIT 1978 81 55 26 80 33 47 43
CHW 1902 72 48 20 66 26 40 42
PHI 1914 78 48 30 76 26 50 42
BRO 1915 78 51 26 76 29 46 42
BOS 1936 77 47 29 78 27 51 42
CHC 1953 77 43 34 78 22 55 42
NYY 1961 81 65 16 82 44 37 42
COL 2002 81 47 34 81 26 55 42
MON 2003 81 52 29 81 31 50 42
MIL 2006 81 48 33 81 27 54 42
TBD 2006 81 41 40 81 20 61 42
LAA 1961 82 46 36 80 24 55 41

I could have guessed the '87 Twins, in the Horrible Dome. I'd have
never come up with the Philadelphia A's, as I'm not that knowledgable
about the history of baseball.
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
James Sidbury
2010-09-08 02:07:51 UTC
That's sort of what I figured.
p t
2010-09-08 01:48:55 UTC
the division just went up in flames imo, maybe they will hold off SF(or
SD) for the WC. if they miss the playoffs, this will no doubt be the
series that will stick out. if you can't beat the Pirates, you don't
deserve to anyways.