Are you a baseball fan?
James Sidbury
2010-08-26 00:31:05 UTC
I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer a baseball fan but merely
a Braves fan. I hardly ever watch the white sox or cubs on WGN nor the
mets on SNY. Ditto the Yankees or Phillies on the local station that
carries their games on Sunday afternoon.

Tonight I've watched a little of the LL World Series but have no plans
for whatever game is on ESPN.

dick
--
I wonder if the lack of Braves games on TBS has caused a change in my
enthusiasm.
Tarkus
2010-08-26 01:13:48 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer a baseball fan but merely
a Braves fan. I hardly ever watch the white sox or cubs on WGN nor the
mets on SNY. Ditto the Yankees or Phillies on the local station that
carries their games on Sunday afternoon.
Tonight I've watched a little of the LL World Series but have no plans
for whatever game is on ESPN.
Pretty much the same here. I try to watch every Braves game I can
(which isn't many these days), but rarely watch games not involving them
anymore. That will change during the postseason.
p t
2010-08-26 02:07:24 UTC
since TBS went bye bye, i have tried to stay a fan, even tho i hardly
get to watch them. i did say this season i was pretty much done,
but i found myself still checking scores etc.(even before they were
doing well). with 30+ games left in a race, they should be on a
good amount(MLB Network is showing alot of games), they have been on
alot lately. next year i think i will break down and get the MLB
package.

i have paid very little attention to the rest of the league since TBS
went bye bye.
James Sidbury
2010-08-26 04:05:31 UTC
Post by p t
since TBS went bye bye, i have tried to stay a fan, even tho i hardly
get to watch them. i did say this season i was pretty much done,
but i found myself still checking scores etc.(even before they were
doing well). with 30+ games left in a race, they should be on a
good amount(MLB Network is showing alot of games), they have been on
alot lately. next year i think i will break down and get the MLB
package.
i have paid very little attention to the rest of the league since TBS
went bye bye.
I refuse to buy any MLB package as long as I have to pay the same amount
of money as someone else but get less games, etc (due to blackouts).

dick
--
and I'm in the home market of the Yankees, Pirates Red Sox(??), Orioles,
AND Mets, Phillies, Nationals.
Tarkus
2010-08-26 04:16:43 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
Post by p t
since TBS went bye bye, i have tried to stay a fan, even tho i hardly
get to watch them. i did say this season i was pretty much done,
but i found myself still checking scores etc.(even before they were
doing well). with 30+ games left in a race, they should be on a
good amount(MLB Network is showing alot of games), they have been on
alot lately. next year i think i will break down and get the MLB
package.
i have paid very little attention to the rest of the league since TBS
went bye bye.
I refuse to buy any MLB package as long as I have to pay the same amount
of money as someone else but get less games, etc (due to blackouts).
Same here. As long as Vegas is part of six blackout markets (none of
which make any sense), they'll never get another penny from me (I did
subscribe for a couple years when it was new).

What makes it even more frustrating is Selig has been on local radio a
number of times, and that issue is always addressed, with Selig
promising to work on it.
bgs
I can't find my Like button, but yes - same here.
Tarkus
Like
Sam Hutcheson
2010-08-27 19:20:28 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer a baseball fan but merely
a Braves fan.  I hardly ever watch the white sox or cubs on WGN nor the
mets on SNY.  Ditto the Yankees or Phillies on the local station that
carries their games on Sunday afternoon.
Tonight I've watched a little of the LL World Series but have no plans
for whatever game is on ESPN.
dick
--
I wonder if the lack of Braves games on TBS has caused a change in my
enthusiasm.
I went through this a for the last couple of years. I think it was a
combination of the Braves being terrible and me being overseas a good
deal. It's really tough to follow even a favorite team with a six
hour time delay. I've been back in the states for about 18 months
now, and that along with a better team to follow certainly brings me
to turn on the games more often. (Living in Atlanta I don't have the
problem of lack of access to the Braves, obviously.)

With that said, I've also stumbled upon MLB Network this year. It's
part of my basic cable package, and I will quite often find myself
watching MLB Tonight. It's like a smarter Baseball Tonight, without
better commentators and instead of MTV-style mashups of homeruns and
strikeouts, they actually cut to the games in progress when something
interesting is going on. As the Network is owned by MLB, there are no
blackout restrictions to their cut ins, so you can literally hear Buck
calling the Dodgers/Reds in LA as Votto bats with the bases loaded.
That has helped bring me back to the game in general.

s/
Alice Faber
2010-08-27 20:19:59 UTC
In article
Post by Sam Hutcheson
Post by James Sidbury
[...]
What I like best about the MLB Network (and the NHL and NFL Networks as
well), is that I can see the nightly highlights when I want to see them,
not when ESPN wants me to see them.
--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Colin William
2010-08-27 20:07:16 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer a baseball fan but merely
a Braves fan. I hardly ever watch the white sox or cubs on WGN nor the
mets on SNY. Ditto the Yankees or Phillies on the local station that
carries their games on Sunday afternoon.
Tonight I've watched a little of the LL World Series but have no plans
for whatever game is on ESPN.
Parenthood took away whatever time I had to be a baseball fan. I seldom
watch non-Braves games. However, I've been very please that MLB network
seems to have carried a number of Braves games this year, so I've seen
more than i have in a long time.

And, I did take Aidan to see the Cubs beat the Phils at Wrigley last
month, that was cool.

Colin
Sam Hutcheson
2010-08-27 20:10:44 UTC
Post by Colin William
Post by James Sidbury
I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer a baseball fan but merely
a Braves fan.  I hardly ever watch the white sox or cubs on WGN nor the
mets on SNY.  Ditto the Yankees or Phillies on the local station that
carries their games on Sunday afternoon.
Tonight I've watched a little of the LL World Series but have no plans
for whatever game is on ESPN.
Parenthood took away whatever time I had to be a baseball fan. I seldom
watch non-Braves games. However, I've been very please that MLB network
seems to have carried a number of Braves games this year, so I've seen
more than i have in a long time.
And, I did take Aidan to see the Cubs beat the Phils at Wrigley last
month, that was cool.
This seems dangerously close to raising a Cubs fan, C.

s/
Tarkus
2010-08-27 20:19:21 UTC
Post by Sam Hutcheson
Post by Colin William
Post by James Sidbury
I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer a baseball fan but merely
a Braves fan. I hardly ever watch the white sox or cubs on WGN nor the
mets on SNY. Ditto the Yankees or Phillies on the local station that
carries their games on Sunday afternoon.
Tonight I've watched a little of the LL World Series but have no plans
for whatever game is on ESPN.
Parenthood took away whatever time I had to be a baseball fan. I seldom
watch non-Braves games. However, I've been very please that MLB network
seems to have carried a number of Braves games this year, so I've seen
more than i have in a long time.
And, I did take Aidan to see the Cubs beat the Phils at Wrigley last
month, that was cool.
This seems dangerously close to raising a Cubs fan, C.
The name Aidan is not all that different from the name Damien...

I'm just sayin'.
Colin William
2010-08-28 01:57:13 UTC
Post by Sam Hutcheson
Post by Colin William
And, I did take Aidan to see the Cubs beat the Phils at Wrigley last
month, that was cool.
This seems dangerously close to raising a Cubs fan, C.
I bought him a Cubs hat, too. We're raising him well, he leads a good
life, so he needs a little misery to prepare him for reality.

Colin
Ron Johnson
2010-08-31 15:27:45 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer a baseball fan but merely
a Braves fan.
Precisely the opposite for me. I'm much more of a baseball
fan than an Oriole fan than I've ever been.

I may not agree with everything the Braves do,
but they have sensible plans. And a history of
turning young talent ("w~hat's that?" ask the Orioles.)
into players.

I became an Oriole fan when they were the smartest
organization in the game, with by far the best
farm system.
Post by James Sidbury
 I hardly ever watch the white sox or cubs on WGN nor the
mets on SNY.  Ditto the Yankees or Phillies on the local station that
carries their games on Sunday afternoon.
I watch whatever has the best combination of broadcaster
and game story.

I've often been driven away screaming by the commentary
though -- and it's not like I lack for options. I
picked up Setanta recently. I like baseball a heck of
a lot more than soccer of rugby but the difference
in the commentary is such that I generally prefer
soccer for background noise.
Post by James Sidbury
Tonight I've watched a little of the LL World Series but have no plans
for whatever game is on ESPN.
I have a hard time getting some of the games.
Canadian rebroadcast rights for the Sunday
ESPN games have been bought by another network
and stuffed on a new channel they want to promote.

Not enough content for me to even consider buying
(there appears to be hours of poker every day)
so I won't be (trying to) listen to Joe Morgan
and company.
Post by James Sidbury
I wonder if the lack of Braves games on TBS has caused a change in my
enthusiasm.
Per Alice. What I like about hockey coverage
is the guys who do the games live the game.

So many guys doing baseball don't appear to
like their job.
Tarkus
2010-08-31 15:43:38 UTC
Well duh!
zig zigalo
2010-09-01 15:00:02 UTC
Post by Tarkus
I'm much more of a baseball fan than
an Oriole fan than I've ever been.
Well duh!
i'm much more a braves fan than baseball. example: i'd watch anyone play
hockey as long as it is competitive, but just won't sit down to watch anyone
but the braves play baseball.

zig
TimV
2010-09-01 17:15:18 UTC
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Tarkus
I'm much more of a baseball fan than
an Oriole fan than I've ever been.
Well duh!
i'm much more a braves fan than baseball. example: i'd watch anyone play
hockey as long as it is competitive, but just won't sit down to watch anyone
but the braves play baseball.
zig
I rarely watch other teams these days too. Just too little time in the day.