Huddy!
Tarkus
2010-08-29 01:26:21 UTC
A career high 13 strikeouts, just to show Strasburg that his career is
not yet over...
Joe Schmoe
2010-08-29 01:52:28 UTC
He gets my vote for the comeback player of the year, and also for Cy Young.
Tomasz Radko
2010-08-29 01:56:28 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by Tarkus
A career high 13 strikeouts, just to show Strasburg that his career is
not yet over...
He gets my vote for the comeback player of the year, and also for Cy Young.
And MVP.
NL players WAR (before today's games, I believe)

Halladay 6.3
Wainwright 6.1
Hudson 5.9
Pujols 5.7
Gonzalez 5.7

OK, WAR isn't the end of everything, but it shows Hudson should be in
discussion for both CY and MVP.

pzdr

TRad
Dale Hicks
2010-08-29 02:21:03 UTC
In article <i5cepq$j1u$***@usenet.news.interia.pl>, ***@interia.pl
says...
Post by Tomasz Radko
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by Tarkus
A career high 13 strikeouts, just to show Strasburg that his career is
not yet over...
He gets my vote for the comeback player of the year, and also for Cy Young.
And MVP.
NL players WAR (before today's games, I believe)
Halladay 6.3
Wainwright 6.1
Hudson 5.9
Pujols 5.7
Gonzalez 5.7
OK, WAR isn't the end of everything, but it shows Hudson should be in
discussion for both CY and MVP.
Given the huge discrepancies in the defensive numbers, I'm beginning
to think the statheads are going too far in their love for a grand
unified system of measure.

Just give me their offensive value and we can argue about their
defensive value (until they get the pitchFX thing set up for fielders
that shows emperically the players' jumps on balls, speed, waist-
highiness of the throws, etc)
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Colin William
2010-08-29 03:01:14 UTC
Post by Tomasz Radko
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by Tarkus
A career high 13 strikeouts, just to show Strasburg that his career is
not yet over...
He gets my vote for the comeback player of the year, and also for Cy Young.
And MVP.
NL players WAR (before today's games, I believe)
Halladay 6.3
Wainwright 6.1
Hudson 5.9
Pujols 5.7
Gonzalez 5.7
OK, WAR isn't the end of everything, but it shows Hudson should be in
discussion for both CY and MVP.
I'm surprised it was even that close between Halladay and Hudson,
especially since it'll now be even closer. Including today's performance
they're about the same in ERA, but Halladay averages almost one
additional inning per start, has way more strikeouts and a better WHIP,
with a slightly more hitter friendly home park. The only place Hudson
seems to have an edge is in having allowed only one unearned run to
Halladay's 6, and I guess in HR rate. Does WAR factor in quality of
opponents, or what am I missing here?

Colin
Tomasz Radko
2010-08-29 10:19:15 UTC
Post by Colin William
Post by Tomasz Radko
[...]
People at b-r include in calculations defensive support and high
leverage situations.
Colin William
2010-08-29 14:26:44 UTC
Post by Tomasz Radko
Post by Colin William
I'm surprised it was even that close between Halladay and Hudson,
especially since it'll now be even closer. Including today's performance
they're about the same in ERA, but Halladay averages almost one
additional inning per start, has way more strikeouts and a better WHIP,
with a slightly more hitter friendly home park. The only place Hudson
seems to have an edge is in having allowed only one unearned run to
Halladay's 6, and I guess in HR rate. Does WAR factor in quality of
opponents, or what am I missing here?
People at b-r include in calculations defensive support and high
leverage situations.
Ah, I see. High-leverage I suppose I can see, but defensive support
always seems speculative to me.

Colin
Tomasz Radko
2010-08-29 16:00:16 UTC
Post by Colin William
Post by Tomasz Radko
People at b-r include in calculations defensive support and high
leverage situations.
Ah, I see. High-leverage I suppose I can see, but defensive support
always seems speculative to me.
Because it is. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

I don't think WAR is the end of the whole discussion. But it is a good
point of start.

pzdr

TRad

James Sidbury
2010-08-29 02:03:08 UTC
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by Tarkus
A career high 13 strikeouts, just to show Strasburg that his career is
not yet over...
He gets my vote for the comeback player of the year, and also for Cy Young.
The Cy will be a tough sell. He could legitimately be thought of as the
third choice from the NL East.

dick
but I'd vote for him too if I had a vote.
Tarkus
2010-08-29 02:15:41 UTC
Post by James Sidbury
Post by Joe Schmoe
Post by Tarkus
A career high 13 strikeouts, just to show Strasburg that his career is
not yet over...
He gets my vote for the comeback player of the year, and also for Cy Young.
The Cy will be a tough sell. He could legitimately be thought of as the
third choice from the NL East.
Yeah, his timing for having a career year is not the best. (At least
for himself.)
Tarkus
2010-08-29 06:43:50 UTC
TIM HUDSON

On 1,500 strikeouts:

“I’m not a strikeout pitcher, so to be able to go out there and have
that kind of milestone for my career, it’s definitely something I’m
proud of. But it’s not something that I’m known for.”

On the ovation he got for 1,500:

“I didn’t even know I was coming close to 1,500 strikeouts until the
fans started cheering. They started cheering and I said, ‘What the heck
is going on? I thought (Jeff) Francoeur was up to bat again, back when
he was a rookie. I saw that it was 1,500; I was like, ‘Man that’s pretty
cool.’ The reaction of the fans was awesome. I had goose bumps out there
and that doesn’t happen for me too often when I’m out there pitching. It
was something that as a player I really appreciate. Hopefully we’ll give
them a lot more to cheer about the rest of the season.”

DAVID ROSS

On Hudson’s stuff:

“I came up here and watched an inning (in the clubhouse). I heard them
say he struck out eight or nine, a high since whenever, and I went back
out. I was calling the game for strikeouts to be honest with you. I
wanted him to get as many as possible. I was watching up here and his
sinker looked like a 92 mph split-finger from the TV perspective.
Dipping, going straight down right when it gets to the zone. He’s good
when he’s not on. When he has a bad game he gives up two runs.”

CHAD TRACY

(Marlins third baseman – compliments of Palm Peach Post colleague Joe
Capozzi)

On Hudson:

“He was dirty. It sinks and runs. You think you’re on it, but for lefty
it hits up off the end of your bat and chopped right into the ground.
There’s a reason why he’s got a (2.24) ERA and won 15 games. The guy has
definitely got his stuff back. He’s healthy. That’s why he is who he is
– he’s Tim Hudson.”

On 12 strikeouts swinging:

“It’s there and then it’s not. You think you’re on it and then it’s
breaking down and away from you. It’s deceptive. Then you throw that
change-up in there along with it… .When he is spotting there’s not a
whole lot you can do with that kind of stuff.”