Chipper pulls his hat from the ring
Dale Hicks
2010-09-18 18:09:04 UTC
"I don=3Ft think I ever want to manage. You couldn=3Ft pay me enough
money to manage, but I would like to instruct."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Chipper-interview-with-rosenthal-
091610
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Dale Hicks
2010-09-18 18:10:52 UTC
Post by Dale Hicks
"I don=3Ft
Sorry about these. HTML hates USENET, apparently.

I have no idea why the ' and " marks have to become so specialized.
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Tarkus
2010-09-18 19:04:48 UTC
Post by Dale Hicks
Post by Dale Hicks
"I don=3Ft
Sorry about these. HTML hates USENET, apparently.
I have no idea why the ' and " marks have to become so specialized.
Depends on the character set used/supported, I think. I have no problem
copying and pasting using Thunderbird, but have had problems using other
readers.
The Ghost of General Lee
2010-09-18 19:45:37 UTC
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.
Tarkus
2010-09-18 19:02:57 UTC
Thank you, Chipper!

I've yet to understand why so many fans want him to replace Cox anyway.
Being able to hit doesn't make you a great manager, especially when
you've never done it before, at any level.
Dale Hicks
2010-09-18 19:10:02 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, karnevil9
@atlantabraves.net says...
Post by Tarkus
Thank you, Chipper!
I've yet to understand why so many fans want him to replace Cox anyway.
Being able to hit doesn't make you a great manager, especially when
you've never done it before, at any level.
I just feel that the game really manages itself, for the most part,
and you want a leader and a people person in the dugout as manager.
Chipper has that leadership and a ton of respect from people
(baseball wise, anyways).

There's sabermetric stuff that says filling out a lineup card is, as
long as you put the pitcher 9th, really not that important. Cox'
pattern of hit and runs became so predictable I could know what his
move was going to be. The only real strategic move is knowing
whether your pitcher has hit a rough BABIP point and still has the
stuff to get out of the inning or making a move to the pen. Who
knows if he'd be good at that or not?

Really, the looming choice is TP, and I'm not really sure if I can
get excited over that choice.
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Tomasz Radko
2010-09-18 19:21:23 UTC
Post by Dale Hicks
I just feel that the game really manages itself, for the most part,
and you want a leader and a people person in the dugout as manager.
Chipper has that leadership and a ton of respect from people
(baseball wise, anyways).
There's sabermetric stuff that says filling out a lineup card is, as
long as you put the pitcher 9th, really not that important. Cox'
pattern of hit and runs became so predictable I could know what his
move was going to be. The only real strategic move is knowing
whether your pitcher has hit a rough BABIP point and still has the
stuff to get out of the inning or making a move to the pen. Who
knows if he'd be good at that or not?
The most important thing the manages has to do is to decide who plays
and who sits. And it isn't simple, at least judging from what some
managers do. It starts from understanding meaning of the phrase "a small
sample size", which counters tradition sanctioned phrases like
"momentum" and "hot streak".

pzdr

TRad
Dale Hicks
2010-09-18 19:34:06 UTC
In article <i733it$jms$***@usenet.news.interia.pl>, ***@interia.pl
says...
Post by Tomasz Radko
The most important thing the manages has to do is to decide who plays
and who sits. And it isn't simple, at least judging from what some
managers do.
And going by TVoS, TP II, and Kelly Johnson, can we conclude that
Bobby was a poor manager?
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Tarkus
2010-09-18 19:36:34 UTC
Post by Tomasz Radko
The most important thing the manages has to do is to decide who plays
and who sits. And it isn't simple, at least judging from what some
managers do. It starts from understanding meaning of the phrase "a small
sample size", which counters tradition sanctioned phrases like
"momentum" and "hot streak".
Not just that, but keeping everyone involved and ready to play on a
moment's notice. I think that's one of Cox's strengths, keeping his
starters fresh and his bench involved.
Tarkus
2010-09-18 19:33:58 UTC
Post by Dale Hicks
@atlantabraves.net says...
Post by Tarkus
Thank you, Chipper!
I've yet to understand why so many fans want him to replace Cox anyway.
Being able to hit doesn't make you a great manager, especially when
you've never done it before, at any level.
I just feel that the game really manages itself, for the most part,
and you want a leader and a people person in the dugout as manager.
I don't disagree with your premise; I just don't think Chipper is that guy.
Post by Dale Hicks
Really, the looming choice is TP, and I'm not really sure if I can
get excited over that choice.
Actually, Freddi Gonzalez is the early favorite, and apparently turned
down an interview with the Cubs, which suggests he's waiting on
something else.
Colin William
2010-09-18 22:09:35 UTC
Post by Dale Hicks
Really, the looming choice is TP, and I'm not really sure if I can
get excited over that choice.
Actually, Freddi Gonzalez is the early favorite, and apparently turned
down an interview with the Cubs, which suggests he's waiting on
something else.
I don't think we can conclude tha Pendleton would be a manager, just
because he hasn't much to show for being a hitting coach. But I agree,
Gonzalez is likely the favorite right now.

Colin
Tarkus
Do you have an opinion on Gonzalez? I don't know enough about him.
zig zigalo

zig
Tarkus
Well, I know *that* much about him. ;)
Dale Hicks
2010-09-19 18:47:36 UTC
In article <i74sen$d0h$***@news.eternal-september.org>, ziggy1967
@gmail.com says...
Post by zig zigalo
Post by Tarkus
Do you have an opinion on Gonzalez? I don't know enough about him.
gonzalez > TP.
I liked the whole handling of LoafingGate, but it's a bit worrisome
that the situation could even come up (not that Fredi can control
other peoples' egos). It's not like we've got any out of control
superstars on the team anyways.

Otherwise, I have no opinion of the guy, as he left no impression on
me from when he was a coach for the Braves. I can't even remember a
postgame quote from when he managed a game where Bobby was tossed.
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
Colin William
2010-09-20 22:07:40 UTC
Post by Tarkus
Post by Colin William
I don't think we can conclude tha Pendleton would be a manager, just
because he hasn't much to show for being a hitting coach. But I agree,
Gonzalez is likely the favorite right now.
Do you have an opinion on Gonzalez? I don't know enough about him.
I don't know much either, just that he seemed to do a good job with
limited resources in Florida, Jeff Loria doesn't like him, and Bobby
does. All those things seem like positives to me.

Colin
Tarkus