The advantage of the NL west race
James Sidbury
2010-09-25 01:18:38 UTC
is that contenders will lose every day.

dick
--
the disadvantage is that one of them will win every day and with the
Braves on the road for 2.3 more games that may be too much of a
disadvantage.
Tarkus
2010-09-25 02:04:56 UTC
And apparently so will the Braves. :/
Colin William
2010-09-25 23:59:21 UTC
Post by Tarkus
Post by James Sidbury
is that contenders will lose every day.
And apparently so will the Braves. :/
The Braves should be able to take advantage of the West cannibalizing
itself; also, with the Phils set to clinch soon, they likely won't be
going all out to win next weekend (I don't see them running their aces
out there for deep pitch counts in three games that are, for them,
meaningless). That along with an easy September schedule loaded with
games against crap teams should have made this a cinch.

I can't decide if this "race" is a strike for or against the wild card.
On the for side, plenty of teams are still "in it". But on the minus
side, is it really all that great that a team performing as poorly as
the Braves is still "in it"?

Colin
Tarkus
Because it's the Braves, that's actually TWO plus sides.
Joe Schmoe
2010-09-26 02:02:57 UTC
Post by Colin William
Post by James Sidbury
is that contenders will lose every day.
And apparently so will the Braves. :/
The Braves should be able to take advantage of the West cannibalizing
itself; also, with the Phils set to clinch soon, they likely won't be
going all out to win next weekend (I don't see them running their aces
out there for deep pitch counts in three games that are, for them,
meaningless). That along with an easy September schedule loaded with
games against crap teams should have made this a cinch.
I can't decide if this "race" is a strike for or against the wild card.
On the for side, plenty of teams are still "in it". But on the minus
side, is it really all that great that a team performing as poorly as
the Braves is still "in it"?
Colin
Baseball is a long season, don't forget that the Braves had a very
impressive number of consecutive home series wins this season.

And, playing badly in September isn't as disqualifying as playing badly
in October...

We do deserve to get knocked out based on some of the aggravating
performances vs the Pirates and Nats, and we are still behind in the
loss column (at the time of this writing), but we still control our own
destiny. If we beat L. Hernandez tomorrow, the team will be right to
feel good about it.
Tomasz Radko
2010-09-26 11:47:56 UTC
Post by Colin William
I can't decide if this "race" is a strike for or against the wild card.
On the for side, plenty of teams are still "in it". But on the minus
side, is it really all that great that a team performing as poorly as
the Braves is still "in it"?
Braves not that bad. They are projected to get 91 wins, which isn't bad.
In their last 10 games they've got 4-6 record, while averaging 5.6 wins
per 10 games, so it's close.